March 31, 2012

"See, It's Not About Races..."







The latest headlines regarding (alleged) racial profiling really struck a cord with many people across the world -people are angry, confused, heartbroken at the state of human relations.


Trayvon Martin and Shaima Al – Awadhi aren't the first victims of alleged hate crimes; however, these two cases have reopened and expanded the conversation about race, gender, and cultural differences.
Since the height of the civil rights movement of the 1960's, we have seen many minorities make progress around the world. It is depressing, in the year 2012, we still ask the following question- "How could this happen?!"


I didn't plan on posting anything about these current events,
but I couldn't keep silent. Trayvon, Shaima, and so many others can't speak up for injustice...we must be the voice of unity and love.
With that being said, here is a something I put together: let's keep the conversation going and find ways to make the world a better place.






If you see me in a hoodie,
If you see me with tattoos, 


If you see me in a store at midnight,
does this really give you a clue?

If you see my hair in locks,
do I seem unambitious?
If you see me in Timberland boots...
do I come off suspicious!?

If you see me, you should a reflection:
I'm a dreamer,
I'm a fighter,
I want love and affection.

Look at the reflection, the "Man in the Mirror"-
if you see me looking back at you, the message will get clearer.

So if you see me in a hoodie,
see yourself in a hoodie, too.
If you see me for who I am,
I will see you for you.









*

1 comments:

Cassarah said...

"I have a dream that one day even [...] a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!"
~Martin Luther King, Jr. 28 August 1963, at the Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.

Thank you, @sohappi, for not keeping silent and turning our attention to these examples for hate.

It´s sad to realize how far away we are from MLK´s dream finally coming true!

Reason enough to take a stand,yesterday, today and tomorrow, whenever we learn about acts of hate,racism and injustice.
Reason enough to replace (moments of) hate with LOVE in our personal lifes and trying to become a shining example.

Reason enough to go on dreaming MLK´s dream TODAY...

Post a Comment