November 26, 2009

The Last Tear


Your words stabbed my heart, and I cried tears of pain. "Get out!" I shouted.
"These are the last tears I'll ever cry for you." So you left.
I waited hours, but you didn't return.
That night by myself I cried tears of frustration.
I waited weeks, but you had nothing to say.
Thinking of your voice, I cried tears of loneliness.
I waited months, but you left no sign for me.
In the depths of my heart, I cried tears of despair.
How strange that all these tears could not wash away the hurt!
Then one thought of love pierced my bitterness.
I remembered you in the sunlight, with a smile as sweet as May wine.
A tear of gratitude started to fall,
and miraculously, you were back.
Soft fingers touched my cheek, and bent over for a kiss.
"Why have you come?" I whispered.
"To wipe away your last tear," you replied. "It was the one you saved for me."



From the book Dancing The Dream - Poems and Reflections

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and inspiring. Love having these reflections and thoughts about in one place to savor, refer to and move us. Thank you!

Post a Comment