March 19, 2010

'They're killing a dance.'


Enough For Today

Dance rehearsals can go on past midnight, but this time I stopped at ten. "I hope you don't mind," I said, looking up into space, "but that's enough for today." A voice from the control room spoke. "You okay?"

"A little tired, I guess," I said.

I slipped on a windbreaker and headed down the hall. Running footsteps came up behind me. I was pretty sure who they belonged to. "I know you too well," she said, catching up with me. "What's really wrong?"

I hesitated. "Well, I don't know how this sounds, but I saw a picture today in the papers. A dolphin had drowned in a fishing net. From the way its body was tangled in the lines, you could read so much agony. Its eyes were vacant, yet there was still that smile, the one dolphins never lose, even when they die..." My voice trailed off.

She put her hand lightly in mine. "I know, I know."

"No, you don't know all of it yet. It's not just that I felt sad, or had to face the fact that an innocent being had died. Dolphins love to dance -- of all the creatures in the sea, that's their mark. Asking nothing from us, they cavort in the waves while we marvel. They race ahead of ships, not to get there first but to tell us, 'It's all meant to be play. Keep to your course, but dance while you do it.' "So there I was, in the middle of rehearsal, and I thought, 'They're killing a dance.' And then it seemed only right to stop. I can't keep the dance from being killed, but at least I can pause in memory, as one dancer to another. Does that make any sense?"

Her eyes were tender. "Sure, in its way. Probably we'll wait years before everyone agrees on how to solve this thing. So many interests are involved. But it's too frustrating waiting for improvements tomorrow. Your heart wanted to have its say now."

"Yes," I said, pushing the door open for her. "I just had this feeling, and that's enough for today."



Excerpt from "Dancing the Dream - Poems and Reflections" © 1992 by Michael Jackson
-----

As we all know Michael Jackson very much cared about the planet and all the animals that God created for it.

Be it coincidence or not this year when MJ was honored at the Oscar awards, a movie was winning "Best Feature Documentary" award that we all should acknowledge.

It is called "The Cove" and is about the killing of dolphins in a cove in Japan. I haven't yet seen the movie myself and it will take a lot of energy for me to do so as seeing pictures like these make me feel like watching someone killing a family member.

But nevertheless this cause is to be supported and on the movie website you can read how to take action. Please do!

http://www.thecovemovie.com/

http://www.takepart.com/thecove
http://www.facebook.com/TheCove

Please sign the petition "Stop the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji, Japan" http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/stop-the-dolphin-slaughter/

"They who?? It starts with us. It's US! Or else it'll never be done... Let's take care of the planet!"

- Michael Jackson




-------

Addition 2010/04/01:

Please sign petion against killing of whales and dolphins here:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-lethal-research-in-the-southern-oceans

Join FB group "I bet we can find 1,000,000 people who want Japan to stop killing whales" here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=291599004314&ref=ts
_______

Addition 2010/09/05

Please sign the petition "Stop the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji, Japan" http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/stop-the-dolphin-slaughter/

Follow "The Cove" on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheCoveTaiji
http://twitter.com/thecovenews
http://twitter.com/TheCoveMovie
http://twitter.com/RichardOBarry

More information:

http://www.savejapandolphins.org/

http://www.oceanicdefense.org/campaigns/taiji/index.html


___

12 comments:

Sofia said...

It's horrible for what they are doing..
Killing innocent animals! Dolphins and seals.. Tigers and birds.. it's not fair!
Animals are a part of nature!!
We live on the same planet and we share this place together!
Now, I've known about this for a long long time, and I've always been against this! I saw the video of them killing the poor dolphins, and when all the sea was all red from the blood, and when Hayden Panettiere paddled out on surfboards to protest the killing of dolphins.. It was horrible I'm telling you! I could not see them suffer like that! It's the same as what the canadians are doing to the seals!
Alot of people are taking the animals for granted! It's not fair!
It ain't fair for the suffering children either!!
There's alot to be done In 3 years, we have to do something about this!
We have to raise our voice as one, otherwise, theres nothing that can't be done..

SAVE THE ANIMALS,
HEAL THE WORLD

doublebeee said...

Thank you love! I know we're on the same page here...

L.O.V.E. and thank you for fighting against animal torture and useless killing! x

Anonymous said...

That's right B! I had not thought about that coincidence..but is it????

doublebeee said...

Whatever you believe. Me personally I don't think it's coincidence. I just saw the "Earth Song" video and saw the dolphin in the net.

The producer of "The Cove" said in his acceptance speech that the award meant most to him because parts of the movies are shown in the award show to the attention of the whole world.

THAT IS SO MICHAEL! :-)

Please take action everyone. Let them know the world is watching. Do it for the dance.

Cali MJ Fan said...

Thank you so much for sharing this page! You should bump this up to the front of your blog since September started the season again.

Thank you again!
Cali

Cassarah said...

Hey, Cali,

thanks for the advice, which I followed. :)

Hoping that as many, many people will take action to finally stop that killing. I saw a genuine picture in the newspapers: A boat on the sea. The water was no longer blue, it had turned to bloody red. :(((

Cali MJ Fan said...

Any time! I've shared the link on my blog as well. Thinking of copying the part your shared about MJ/Dancing the Dream for my blog (with credit to you and MJ of course).

Never thought I could watch the movie, The Cove, but I did. I can't stop thinking about how to help. I know with as many MJ fans as there are in the world, if we all spoke out, we could make some thunder.

MJ fans should know we can multi-task-- keeping MJ's legacy alive as well as taking on some of the world's biggest problems, like this.

TOGETHER WE HAVE THE VOICE TO CHANGE THE WORLD... we just have to learn to use it... together!

Much L.O.V.E.
Cali

yogadancer7 said...

oh--so heart-wrenching. i tried to sign the petition but couldn't??? it said the petition was closed??? thank u for helping us to know the whole story and be involved. we need to protect our planet.

Cali MJ Fan said...

Here is the current link for the petition from SaveJapanDolphins.org (from the movie The Cove)

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/724/210/624/

also on Facebook here
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/petitions/252

But the Facebook one is offline as I write this. So not sure if that's the one you went to Yogadancer7 or not. If so, try the first one.

Much L.O.V.E.
Cali

beatriz said...

This is so terrible. May I copy this article please in my website, with your credit of course?
it is www.mjfancommunity.com if you want to check it.
Thanks! L.O.V.E.

Cassarah said...

Beatriz, our webteam is grateful to hear that you are going to spread the word around. :)
Thank you and L.O.V.E to you.

yogadancer7 said...

thank u, cali mj fan--that top address worked. L.O.V.E. to u....

Post a Comment